Department of Leadership and Counseling

Kathy Canfield-Davis, Dept. Chair (208/667-2588; Counseling and Rehabilitation Counseling (CRC) Faculty Moscow campus: Linda Taylor ; Coeur d’ Alene CRC campus: Steven Duvall, Sachin Jain. Educational Leadership Faculty Boise campus: Mary E. Gardiner, Michael J. Johnson, Carolyn Keeler, Roger L. Reynoldson. Coeur d’ Alene Educational Leadership Faculty campus: Kathy Canfield-Davis (Coordinator, 208/667-2588;, Donald Wattam (Coordinator, 208/667-2588;

Adult/Organizational Learning and Leadership Faculty: James A. Gregson, Laura B. Holyoke, Michael Kroth, Jerry R. McMurtry.

Counseling and School Psychology. The counseling program offers course work at the master's level for individuals seeking preparation as counselors who want to work in school, and rehabilitation settings. Specialist-level programs meet Idaho certification requirements in school psychology and advanced school counseling. All programs are designed to assist the student toward meeting the requirements for counselor licensure.

The school counseling and school psychology programs are accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and approved by the State Board of Education). The school psychology program is also accredited by the National Association for School Psychology (NASP). The rehabilitation counseling graduate program is accredited by the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE). All programs afford the graduate the opportunity to take the National Board for Certified Counselor Examination (NBCC) and its subtests.

Counseling and school psychology are fields that prepare professionals to work with children, adolescents, and adults to enhance academic, social, emotional, vocational, and personal growth. Students are provided with theoretical knowledge bases as well as practical application of skills in carefully selected field placements.

School Counseling. The graduate program in school counseling (M.Ed.) may be used to meet state certification for school counseling (school and vocational). Graduates usually seek positions in K-12 schools, post-secondary institutions, vocational counseling programs (either school or agency), employment agencies, and career centers.

School Psychology. The school psychology program offers the education specialist degree (Ed.S.Sch.Psych.) for those preparing to be school psychologists. Curricular requirements in the program include: course work in psychological foundations, educational foundations, interventions/problem solving, statistics/research methodologies, professional school psychology, practica, and internship.

Rehabilitation Counseling. The combination online and traditional instruction vocational rehabilitation counseling program has graduate degrees available at the master's level (M.Ed.). Curricular requirements in the major include: Principles of Rehabilitation, Community, and School Counseling; Psycho-social Aspects of Disability; Medical/Physical Aspects of Rehabilitation; Rehabilitation and Community Case Management; Vocational Placement and Assistive Technology; Professional Issues, Ethics, and Law in Counseling and School Psychology; Practicum; and Internship. The program will afford the graduate the opportunity to take the Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) Examination. Graduates assume careers with vocational rehabilitation agencies, hospital rehabilitation centers, community rehabilitation programs, and as private rehabilitation practitioners.

Educational Leadership. The Educational Leadership program offers degrees at the M.Ed., Ed.S., Ed.D., and Ph.D. level (doctoral programs in this field are offered through the College of Education. The program offers most of its course of study online, and at University of Idaho campuses. The program also offers curriculum for higher education administration. The program is approved the Idaho State Board of Education and accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). All course work meets certification standards required by the Idaho Department of Education.


See the course description section for courses in Adult/Organizational Learning and Leadership (AOLL), Counseling and Rehabilitation Counseling (CRC) and Educational Administration (EDAD).